AFTER SCHOOL ENRICHMENT SCHEDULE
|1:50||Knitting (grades 2 - 6)|
|Robotics (grades 3 - 6)|
|2:50||Theater (grades K - 3) ||Radical Cooks||Radical Cooks ||Chess Academy|
|Spanish (grades k - 3)||Spanish (grades k - 3)||Robotics (grades 3 - 6)|
|3:00||Table Top Fantasy Role Playing|
|4:00||Theater (grades 4 - 6)||Spanish (4 gr – 5 gr, 6th grade siblings may join)||The Lab: Social Entrepreneurship & Community Organizing (grades 4 - 6)|
|Spanish (4 gr – 5 gr, 6th grade siblings may join)|
Turn a key into a lightsabre. Learn to speak gibberish. Become part of a three-headed monster. Guess the occupation. Come have tons of fun and give your imagination a workout. Drawing on the techniques of Viola Spolin, Agosto Boal and others, this class uses theater and improv games to teach foundational acting skills. No experience necessary. Anyone with an imagination can play!
- Mondays @ 2:50 for grades k-3 in the MPR. Classes meet on 9/17, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/26, 12/3, 12/10 (10 sessions)
- Mondays @ 4:00 for grades 4-6 in the MPR. Classes meet on 9/17, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/26, 12/3, 12/10 (10 sessions)
- Cost: $100
- To register, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
BIO: Jeffrey Solomon has been a teaching artist in New York City schools for thirty years. He has toured internationally as a solo performer and with his theater company Houses on the Moon. He wrote the Jim Henson ABC-TV special CityKids, which received an Emmy nomination for Best Children’s Special and won an Ollie Award for Excellence in Children’s Programming. He is excited to have his family join the Mount Washington Community.
Six countries from six continents in six weeks! Traveling the globe, gastronomically speaking, is the next series of classes offered by Radical Cooks. Join us as we traipse around the planet in search of tasty treats from various countries. We’ll learn the origin of traditional foods, try our hand at different table settings and manners, cook, and then sample these sweet and savory delights.
Cook’s note: this series was inspired by the first Mt. Washington cooking class, many of whom expressed a desire to learn more about foods from different countries. The kids spoke. We listened.
- Wednesdays 2:45 in the Pavilion
- Classes meet on 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/28, 12/5 (6 sessions, no class on November 21st)
- Registration for Wednesday Class: http://www.radicalcooks.com/kidscookingclasses/potspanspassports-sp5zn
- Thursdays 2:45 in the Pavilion
- Classes meet on 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/29, 12/6 (6 sessions, no class on November 22nd)
- Registration for Thursday class: http://www.radicalcooks.com/kidscookingclasses/potspanspassports
- Minimum 5 / Maximum 12
- Nina Zippay | email@example.com | cell:213.308.8954 |www.radicalcooks.com
- Cost: $120.00
Learn and Play: Dungeons & Dragons, One night Ultimate Werewolf, Magic: The Gathering, Oregon Trail, Pandemic, Super Fight and More!
- Tuesdays @ 1:50pm in Room 6
- DATES: 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/27, 12/4, 12/11
- Cost: $125 including starter materials
- Registration: firstname.lastname@example.org (You MUST email Que prior to the class’ first class to confirm your child’s enrollment)
- Mondays @ 2:50 - 3: 50 pm for grades K-3 in MPR. Classes meet on 9/17, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 11/26, 12/3, 12/10
- Mondays @ 4 - 5 pm for grades 4 - 6 in MPR. Classes meet on 9/17, 9/24, 10/1, 10/8, 10/15, 10/22, 11/26, 12/3, 12/10
- Wednesdays @ 2:50 - 3: 50 pm for grades K-3 in MPR or library. Classes meet on 9/5, 9/12, 9/23, 10/3, 10/11, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/14, 11/28
- Wednesdays @ 4 - 5 pm for grades 4 - 6 in MPR or library. Classes meet on 9/5, 9/12, 9/23, 10/3, 10/11, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/14, 11/28
- Registration: https://www.cultural-bytes.org/after-school
- Cost: once a Week $200 (plus $50 material fee) | twice a week $300 (plus $50 material fee)
FOMWS and STEM Discovery Kids have partnered to bring a FIRST LEGO League Robotics Team to Mount Washington Elementary. The team will design a robot that will complete a series of missions as part of a competition designed around this year’s FIRST LEGO theme, Into Orbit.
First LEGO League Robotics Team Participants must be in 3rd grade or above and enroll in Introductory Robotics, offered as an after-school class starting Tuesday, August 21st. The team will be selected at the end of Introductory Robotics through an application process. For details on the competition and how to apply for the Introductory Robotics course see the attached informational sheet and application.
- Fridays 2:50 in the Lunch Pavilion. Classes meet on 9/7, 9/14, 9/21, 9/28 10/5, 10/12, 10/19, 10/26, 11/2, 11/9 (10 week program)
- Minimum 8 / Maximum none
- Coach Arman at: (818) 640-5974
- Cost: $90
Join SODE instructors for a foot tapping, beat making dance and percussion class that promises to make your body move and your heart soar!
This class is open for ALL ages. Deadline to register is October 21st!
- Tuesdays @ 1:50pm to 3:00pm in the MPR. Classes meet on 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/27, 12/4 and a performance 12/7 and the last class on 12/11.
- Registration: Please email Miss Sophie at email@example.com, call/text 818-913-5863, or sign up online at www.sophieolsondanceexplosion.com.
- Cost: $130 plus $30 for costume for the performance
Important Information: A SODE instructor will collect/Sign out TK and Kinder kids at the kinder gate. All other grade levels will need to meet the instructors in the MPR promptly at dismissal. Please collect your child promptly at 3:00PM. Also, let Sophie know if your child has ANY food allergies. We will be providing gold fish crackers and/or cutie tangerines during break each week. Can your child eat candy? Please pack extra water because we will be moving AND grooving!
Our Mt. Washington School students can enjoy a robust offering of after school classes that enrich their educational experience. The collaboration between MWE PTA and the FOMWS brings an assortment of class offerings to our students. Our After School Enrichment classes are meant to help support the varied interests of your children.
The after school enrichment classes are not an after school CARE program. For your convenience MWE has an after school care program on site, and a couple off site programs that pick up students. In addition to the after school care programs, MWE also has a district sponsored after school recreational program. Our After School Enrichment teachers expect to enroll students who are interested in their subject matter and want to actively participate. Each teacher is responsible for enrollment and payment. Scholarships are available in all classes for those who qualify. Please speak to the office staff for more information.
If you have any general questions, want to make a class suggestion, and/or want to share your talents with our school community you can contact Erica Rosales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you enroll your child in a class make sure that the teacher has confirmed receipt of your payment and enrollment. If your child is in STAR, then the after school teacher or a designated adult volunteer must sign your child in and out of STAR. If your child will be staying after school to wait for an enrichment class then your child must be enrolled in Beyond the Bell. These procedures are for the safety of our children. It is important that we know where your child is while on our MWE campus.
Q: My kindergartner is enrolled in STAR, will the after school teacher pick them up?
A: Yes, if the after school teacher knows that your child is enrolled in STAR and needs to be picked up.
Q: My kindergartner is not enrolled in a STAR, will the kinder teacher take her to the after school class?
A: Our MWS teachers will not walk children to afterschool classes. If your child is not picked up by an adult on the approved list, then the kinder teacher will take the child to the office. Office staff will not walk your child to the after school class.
Q: Does my third grader need to be escorted by me to the after school class?
A: No. Most children in the upper grades are responsible enough to get to the class they need to get to. Please make sure you have communicated to your child what room number and what time they need to be there. Check in with the after school teacher if you want to know if your child attended class. Make sure that any children in grades 2-6 staying on our campus after school are enrolled in Beyond the Bell. You can get the registration form in the office.
Q: My first grader is not enrolled in STAR or Beyond the Bell, can they hang out in the yard and wait for me after the enrichment class?
A: Children who are not enrolled in one of the after school care programs must be picked up immediately following the after school class.